Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Fockball

I haven't written in many days. Not that I did not want to but you will all agree with how Satan lures people into procrastination. Having a lot of time on my hands is something I am not used to.. and surely not without a rotating fan on the ceiling. You would ask why? You would surely not be wrong in asking that because until a few days ago I did not realize the importance of that.

Lie on your bed and watch the fan rotate and you are drawn in like a hypnotizing effect and then your mind wanders uninhibited. Wonderland or Narnia.. it's up to you. But you get the feel right?

Now I had this wonderful way to kill whatever time I had alone in my room back in India. When the fan's on full speed, pick up a sock. Curl it into a ball. Lie down and try to hit the ceiling through the rotating fan. Bingo you have fockball [fan-sock-ball]. You can assign points for hit or miss.

So having given another exciting indoor sport for you people to pursue I will wander into one of the annoying habits patient people have.

People are stupid. I'm just documenting it [I don't exclude myself]. Ever called a toll free number [TFN] ? Now I know a very patient guy [PG]. He happens to call a lot of toll free numbers [seriously cud be his hobby!]. But anyways one such afternoon when I was taking a nap at his place, he calls up some toll-free number and puts the phone on speaker. As is usual there is a 2 minute discourse on the options available and as though by stroke of some lame luck he chooses the very last option.

TFN: Thank-you for calling. All our customer representatives are busy assisting other customers. Please hold on. Your call will be serviced in the order it was received.

TFN: ting-ding-tingaga-dingag [or some lame music]

After 5 minutes....

TFN: All our representatives are still busy. Please keep on holding. Thank you.

Another 5 minutes...

TFN: Did you know you can visit our website www.blah blah blah and refer to the FAQs section.

Another 5 minutes...

Voice: Hi this is Maria.. how may I help you?

PG: Hi. How are you doing?

Maria: I am doing good. Thank you. How are you doing sir?

PG: Good. Thank you for asking. You have a sweet voice.
Me thinks: come on get over with it.. u r not going on a date with her.

PG explains some dumb problem for his laptop.

Maria: Sir, I would have to refer you to our technical expert. Would you mind if I put you on hold.

PG: No, not at all.

TFN: ting-ding-tingaga-dingag [or some lame music]

After 5 minutes....

TFN: All our representatives are still busy. Please keep on holding. Thank you.

Another 5 minutes...

TFN: Did you know you can visit our website www.blah blah blah and refer to the FAQs section.

Another 5 minutes...

Now that is 30 minutes on the TFN.

Having been deprived of my sweet nap, I cut the phone and switched off his laptop while he looked at me dumbfounded. On a reboot, the laptop worked fine.

There did I realize all people have time to spend and indulge into their own fockballs.

Maria almost thought she had a date.

3 Comments:

At 12:23 PM, Blogger silverine said...

Your friend has a novel way to get back at TFN for keeping you on hold listening to the infernal music and promo talk. May his tribe and phone bills of Customer Support increase LOL

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger silverine said...

Hi Scorpigle, Thanks for dropping by. No new posts?

Check this out! A hilarious spoof on Mahabharatha by a gal blogger.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Ms.V said...

LOL! Gone through the whole,'Pls be on the line' calls. I guess they annoy you so much with the lame music that in the end the problem at hand might seem bearable.
..V :)

PS: Just noticed the post date. Oops. It's been a while aye. Lots of catching up for me to do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home