Saturday, September 29, 2007

On the marks, getset, sail!

I sit to write .. but the damn idiot box interferes with the right side of my brain. So what happens is that I remain sitting on my bean bag - laptop on my lap, TV in front and remote in my hand.

Then someone suggested that I take a paper-pen and sit under the streetlight. I might get some inspiration. Well I tried (not to disappoint that person) but the Gods had different plans. It rained. I made a boat of the paper and let it sail in the puddle of water.

Now what's the point of writing this then? Patience my dear friend... rain-puddle-boat aha. These stir some fond memories from childhood.

I lived in water starved deserts of India, actually rains aren't that rare in Rajasthan as you might have been wrongly led to believe by that lame kindergarten textbook of yours... tsk tsk. Ab to bade ban jao!

Monsoons were fun when I was young. A brief spell of heavy showers and our little town would swiftly be converted into Venice. And as the rain Gods would have it, the dirty brown water would be ready for us right when the school closed for the day at lunch time.

So what did we bunch of Einsteins do? Take out our notebooks (which starved for some homework) and pull out copious sheets of paper. Our nimble fingers worked feverishly and bingo there used to be a number of boats - all ready to set sail and race home.

Now you would wonder how they got steered? Yours truly along with the other hobbyists would take upon themselves the task to provide the oar-work and steering to the boats - all the time waddling in knee deep brown water. Did you say eeew?

Yes? You did miss fun... you poor kid .. were you put into rat race of life by perfectionist parents and wicked teachers? Sorry, I digress - but I think I made my point!

So yes, nice pencils became oars and water our race track. With a 10 kg bag on our backs and pencils in our hands, we oared our boats towards the finish line - which was probably a KM away from school.

Mind you, it was not that we could not find dry streets. But what is the fun there? Can boats go without water? So you see the point! And thanks for nodding.

So what happened after that? What would happen? Parents as they always are - cribbing, shouting and grounding us for filling life with a little more fun. All we did was come home in an hour instead of 10 min! And what excuse would they give - wet socks, shoes and waddling through leech infested water!

Parents, I say, never understand.

So as I finish this piece, my little boat makes its last attempt to stay afloat before succumbing to the downpour.. sigh!

But I won't disappoint you - I took a shot before I set it on it's maiden and last sail!



Yes it's been long.. and I will try to be more frequent.

4 Comments:

At 11:54 AM, Blogger Geets said...

woh kaagazz ki kashti.. owh barish ka paani!! :) good job!!

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger silverine said...

Scorpiiiii good to have you back!!

I have forgotten to make the paper boat. After I publish this comment that is the first thing I will do!! :)

During our 'younger' days, the puddles were muddy but not unhygienic like these days! Lovely post. Bought back so many memories!!

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger scorpigle said...

[Geets] Thanks
[silverine] Thanks for stopping by! So how did the boat turn out.. I too had difficulty remembering.. but origamy is such fun!

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger silverine said...

I made the boat!! heh heh
After 430 tries :(
Damn!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home