Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Here I am

"Why have I not been writing for the last few days?" - this has been a question posed to me by my dear admirers. Well, don't I have a right to be on a vaction any time?

But then writing is something I do as a relaxation. And on a long weekend I am pretty much relaxed to want to do writing. This weekend, I saw "War of the worlds". Went for hiking in the killing heat, gulped down a litre of gatorade without a drop of pee coming out and saw that Independence day is just another day off in the US without much fanfare.

So as we were driving to this nice hiking place called "hamilton pool", I came across a hoarding which said "No swimming today due to high levels of bacteria". Come on how could they know that I was harboring all the bacteria under the sweat on that day? Only after seeing the colour of the water there, I did realise that perhaps they might be talking about the water [you would agree after seeing the snap]. But the sign stands there everyday for whole of the year - "No swimming today"! But the place was worth a visit and a good hiking.



Talking about such boards and signs there are a few others that I have come across which never fail to amuse.

In a shop: "Aaj nakad kal udhaar" [Cash today, credit tomorrow - when will this tomorrow come - eternal wait!!]
In a video coach: "Video not working today" [perhaps the next time I board the bus?]

As I was browsing through the net, found an archive of old road signs put up by a gentleman at this site

I mentioned before that I did happen to see WOTW. It mostly screams Spielberg. It has all the great visual effects - a fair job done in retelling H.G. Wells seminal classic. For those who have just seen the trailers so far - you might have already guessed that it's Cruise trying to save his family from aliens. What it lacks is originality. Come on we have had enough of aliens invading us without even understanding why. Please come up with some different subject. Only the ending seemed a bit different for the 2 odd hours long drag [I am not revealing it - for those who still wanna watch it]. A no-no even for Spielberg fans.

Salut.......

1 Comments:

At 10:37 PM, Blogger The elderly camel said...

Talking of comical signs/labels, I read once in an issue of the New Scientist magazine, bloopers committed by companies with regard to the usage and warning captions they put on their products. I recall a really nice one of a label on a Korean made knife - "Keep out of children!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home